Town Clerk

Series of file folders in a cabinet


Dog licenses renew in June of each year.  Puppies need to be licensed at 6-months old.  You will need to provide proof of rabies vaccination and spay or neuter certificate if appropriate.


Marriage Licenses

For Marriage licenses, you must now call 860-546-9377 for an appointment. Please see the FAQ document for more information.


The Town Clerk's Office is responsible for maintaining land records, vital records (birth, death, and marriage certificates), issuing sportsmen licenses, dog licenses, and numerous other statute-required duties. 

The Town Clerk's office is also responsible for the recording and safe-keeping of all land records pertaining to real estate transactions in the Town. We maintain the permanent records of Town meetings, elections, and Boards and Commission meetings. We are also involved in all Town elections and referenda and issue absentee ballots.

Land Records

Our land records are available on line at

NEW!!! Infodex now available for our land records back to Volume 42.  Grantor/Grantee indexes on line to 1905.


Vital Records

The cost to obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate is currently $20.00 for each record.

Sportsmen Licenses and Fees

2023 Licenses are now available online and in the office.  Please bring your old license or driver's license.  The DEEP has initiated a Trout and Salmon stamp (2018) which costs $5.00 in addition to the fishing license fees.  If you are 65 years of age or older, you are entitled to a free inland/marine fishing license and a firearms license (if you have had one withinin the last 5 years).

Dog Licenses

Licenses are renewed in June of each year.  If your dog's rabies certificate has expired, please bring the new certificate with you in order to obtain a license.  If your dog is spayed/neutered, we must see verification from the vet. Puppies require a license at 6 months of age.


Spayed or neutered: $8.00
Not spayed/neutered: $19.00

Transfer Station

To obtain a sticker for access to the transfer station, you MUST present your current Canterbury Motor Vehicle Registration in the Town Hall front office and fill out a Transfer Station Resident Application.  For more information, please visit the Solid Waste Transfer Center page.


IQS Records Management Specialists

Town of Canterbury Launches Fraud Alert

to Notify Property Owners of New Transactions

The Canterbury Town Clerk is providing a free new tool, through our Land Records Company, to help property owners protect one of their most valuable assets.

With Fraud Alert, you can sign up to receive alerts whenever a document, such as a deed or mortgage, is recorded under your name. Documents can be viewed online at or at the Clerk’s Office.  This is a vendor-sponsored service and all questions regarding this function should be directed to IQS at 800-320-2617.

Sign up now at

Please note:  there may be other property owners in town that share the same name.


1 South Canterbury Road
PO Box 27
Canterbury, CT 06331
United States

View in Google Maps

41.698266030623, -71.971277885165